Broken and Mended

Monday, March 9, 2009



Broken

"Our beautiful life had shattered.
Broken pieces lay around me like silent
reminders of what had been.
Slivers of love and security lay in
one corner, while bits of companionship
and mirth had fallen to the side.
So much of value was irretrievably lost.
I stared at the mess, daunted by
the dreadful destruction of my life.
Dare I pick up the pieces? Dare I try
to put them back together again?
Broken fragments glittered in the sunlight,
as if mocking my loss.
Could the glue of perseverance and hope
hold the fragile pieces together?
Was it possible for life to continue as it had before?




..... And Mended Again

Hope glimmered at the edges of my mind.
Maybe, just maybe, some of the broken fragments
could be pieced together again.
They might form some semblance of a whole.
Not as they had been before. No.
But, nonetheless, something good and useful.
I measured the damage, checked out the ruin,
and pulled out my glue gun.
A dash of faith here, a dollop of good-cheer there,
a bit of fortitude spread all around, and voila!
A new existence had been created.
Endurance had triumphed over emptiness, and
a whole had blossomed from the broken pieces.
Cracks still remained, and sometimes the
glue pulled apart at the edges. But, even so,
victory had been won, and life was good once again."
~sandra barker

Praising God for mended bodies and hearts!

share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
17 Comments »

17 Responses to “ Broken and Mended ”

Mrs. Case said...

Praying for you.

Kate Giovinco Photography said...

I am always thinking about you guys.

The images you posted along with the words are powerful.

Kate

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to send you a quote that I love very much, your pictures reminded me of it:

"Break a vase and the love that reassembles the fragments is stronger than that love which took its symmetry for granted when it was whole."

Wishing you happiness!

Laurie in Ca. said...

Sweet Katie,

Praising God right along with you in this. I like the "after" picture of the pitcher. It is more like life really happens. God Bless you and bring great joy to your hearts.

Love and Hugs, Laurie

Rebekah said...

Love this. Your pitcher...your heart reflects more beauty now than ever before.

Glad you're on the mend. Watch and see that God is good!

bri said...

feeling your pain, Knowing that God does too and will sustain you in this grieving process!!!

love and blessings!

Love that quote from the anonymous poster... Is that the truth or what!!!

Beautiful Pitcher!

A Truly Grand Haven said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
A Truly Grand Haven said...

Katie I have seen this done before and I think it is very cool.
It is a great reminder that God does help us pick up pieces and put our selves back together again.

Verna said...

Scars and cracks show up in our lives too, but being able to praise God for all things that come are way is such a blessing.
Thinking of you and praying for you. :)

Kate said...

Hi Kate! A friend of mine that I went to college with found your blog and sent me your way. We lost our beautiful daughter, Zoelle, 1-4-09 at 23w 3d. I am in so much pain it is almost debilitating. Your blog is beautiful, and the pictures of you and your son are so sweet. I love what you did for him for his birthday. I am sure it was such a difficult day yet very special day. I understand your heartbreak, my breaks for all the angel parents out their. I am sending you hugs! Kate (we have stellar names!) :-)

Anonymous said...

What I like about the photo of the broken pitcher is that the light from the window shines through it. May the light of Jesus shine through you in your brokenness. I believe it already does.

Anonymous said...

That was beautiful!

Kelly @ Sufficient Grace Ministries said...

There is beauty in the brokenness. As one who has watched the Lord piece my own broken pieces back together, ...although we never would have chosen it...I think the final photo is even more beautiful than the first.

Praising Him with you...for all the mending He does,
Kelly Gerken
Sufficient Grace Ministries

Cara said...

So Powerful - beautiful - and real.

Thank you for your never ending faith - praying with you.

xoxo

Lisa Marie said...

I love these pictures. Did you ever notice...funny how- that without the brokenness, it's much harder to see the light of Christ shining within us? We have to be weak to shine for His glory. That's what my suffering has always taught me... I love these pictures and am happy I can relate with the broken vessel. I pray you are doing well! God bless

~*Faith*Hope &*Love~ said...

Kate,

I have followed your blog since August 2008. I have kept quite for a while now, however this poem touched me... I feel like i have never met you and i relate so much... I misscarried my first child and became sick afterwards, not to your extent but just about... and have been going through alot lately. And currently TTC before having to have a hystorectomy at age of 19. This poem touch my heart so deep that I cried for a good 20 mins. I want to thank you for what you have done here, you have inspired me so much and helped me get through alot. I just want to thank you and tell you that you are in my prayers!

Thanks and God Bless.

Anonymous said...

Life is a gift more precious than the rest. The rain that falls within our lives is what will eventually wash us clean.
Live by 2 Tim 2 ver. 3