The day that changed my life forever.. (Robb's Story)

Sunday, April 13, 2008

February 29, 2008

This day seems like just yesterday, and yet at the same time with everything that has happened it seems like it was a long time ago. So many thoughts and memories have been flying through my head in the last 6 weeks. Writing about these things brings me through a whirl wind of emotions. I still remember my cell phone ringing with Katie on the other end saying that I needed to pick her up and soon! She told me that she was having terrible cramps and pain. I quickly left work and went to pick her up. On my way to pick her up I was worried, but nothing could have prepared me for what was about to happen. If you are anything like me you never expect something terrible to happen to you. I try to be an optimist on most issues in life, and I treated this situation no differently. Besides I was a rookie at being a soon to be daddy and wasn't sure of all the things that go along with being pregnant. I guess I kept on telling myself that everything would be ok. We will see the doctor he will make this pain that Katie is experiencing stop and we will get to go back home. Even though I knew that this was very serious I never really expected this to happen. I raced to the ER entrance, ran inside to get a wheel chair for Katie and flew to the elevator to the 3rd floor OB. Minutes later Katie was in a gown in the hospital bed hooked to a monitor. We could see Brenham's heartbeat on the monitor, phew!! This made me feel better. But the pain that Katie was experiencing was contractions and they were coming every few minutes. I thought can't the doctor give her something to stop these contractions. Several minutes later our Dr. came in and checked Katie. He said something that changed my life forever. The words will forever be in my head. He said "Katie you are going to have this baby now" I immediately broke down. My glass half full attitude was drained in an instant. At 5:15 PM my beautiful son was born. 13.4 oz, 10.5 in. and 100% miraculous.
The following days were a blur but we were fortunate to be surrounded by lots of family and friends which helped us to cope with this. I find myself asking why us, what did we do to deserve this? Now with Katie's kidney condition it leaves me with more questions. I know that this is not in our hands and I trust God will take care of us. Pslams 23 .... Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil ... I pray that through all of this that God will be glorified. I pray that this trial in our lives will be the story that leads others to God. Katie and I keep asking "what would we do with out our faith?" There is simply nothing to live for if it was not for our faith that God will provide. I look forward to to seeing Brenham in heaven one day, but until then we have a lot of living and learning to do. I never take a day for granted. Every breath is a gift from God. We truly are blessed in more ways than we can even understand. By the way God has filled my cup again and I trust that he will give us many reasons to see it as overflowing in the future.
Robb

share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
1 Comment »

One Response to “ The day that changed my life forever.. (Robb's Story) ”

Anonymous said...

Oh Robb, I pray for you everyday.

People are probably telling you to "trust in God and He will carry you."

You are probably wondering what that means - how how He could possibly ever make your lives ok again. Having been through tragedy myself, I can only say this: When you look back at this time, you will see more clearly than ever His hand in your life. As for His present work, may you begin to feel how hundreds of people praying (strangers like me) for you has slowly but surely begun to mend your life. We are shouldering this burden with you, Robb and Katie.

I know things seem hopeless, so I will hope for you. Hope sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.

You are not alone.

God Bless you - you are a testament of faith.