Unseen Victory??

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Have I won?
This has been a long road of suffering, I have been through a lot, the devastating loss of a child, life-threatening health issues, bad news after bad news. A familiar story of a faithful servant Job comes to mind, and reminds me that my struggles werent so bad and my journey through it not near as graceful as Job.
I have been reading a devotional book on Job and though i wish i read it earlier, it is still helpful to me and may be to some of you of there too.

"Job was a man who lived in Uz. He was honest inside and out, a man of his word, who was totally devoted to God and hated evil with a passion. He had seven sons and three daughters. He was also very wealthy—seven thousand head of sheep, three thousand camels, five hundred teams of oxen, five hundred donkeys, and a huge staff of servants—the most influential man in all the East!" Job 1:1-3 The Message
"Sometime later, while Job's children were having one of their parties at the home of the oldest son, a messenger came to Job and said, "The oxen were plowing and the donkeys grazing in the field next to us when Sabeans attacked. They stole the animals and killed the field hands. I'm the only one to get out alive and tell you what happened."
While he was still talking, another messenger arrived and said, "Bolts of lightning struck the sheep and the shepherds and fried them—burned them to a crisp. I'm the only one to get out alive and tell you what happened." While he was still talking, another messenger arrived and said, "Chaldeans coming from three directions raided the camels and massacred the camel drivers. I'm the only one to get out alive and tell you what happened."
While he was still talking, another messenger arrived and said, "Your children were having a party at the home of the oldest brother when a tornado swept in off the desert and struck the house. It collapsed on the young people and they died. I'm the only one to get out alive and tell you what happened." Job 1:15-19 The Message


I cant possibly imagine, in one day every single nightmare exploded into reality and hit him like a ton of bricks. All at once, Job's family and fortune was swept away. His job, his employees, his property, his income, his retirement and everything he worked so hard for...gone.
I know the pain of losing a child but can not fathom the agony of losing ten, all at once.
I often question God and why he would allow this to happen to one of His most faithful servants? Why didn't He protect Job? What was He thinking?
What I learned was that God had this whole journey of sorrow planned out for Job (and me) birthed out of an intriguing conversation He had with God.

"God said to Satan, "Have you noticed my friend Job? There's no one quite like him—honest and true to his word, totally devoted to God and hating evil."
Satan retorted, "So do you think Job does all that out of the sheer goodness of his heart? Why, no one ever had it so good! You pamper him like a pet, make sure nothing bad ever happens to him or his family or his possessions, bless everything he does—he can't lose!
"But what do you think would happen if you reached down and took away everything that is his? He'd curse you right to your face, that's what."
God replied, "We'll see. Go ahead—do what you want with all that is his. Just don't hurt him." Then Satan left the presence of God. " Job 1:8-12 The Message


The part that encourages me is how Job responded to all of this
" Job got to his feet, ripped his robe, shaved his head, then fell to the ground and worshiped: Naked I came from my mother's womb, naked I'll return to the womb of the earth.God gives, God takes. God's name be ever blessed.
Not once through all this did Job sin; not once did he blame God."
Job 1-20-22

Yeah Job!! Well done! Crushed, broken and aching, Job STILL worshiped God.

Yeah God! Satan lost, God won!

So he just won the battle, he responded by worshiping God even through all his losses. Then Satan gears up for round two... health issues...sounding familiar? (although my response far less graceful)

"Then God said to Satan, "Have you noticed my friend Job? There's no one quite like him, is there—honest and true to his word, totally devoted to God and hating evil? He still has a firm grip on his integrity! You tried to trick me into destroying him, but it didn't work."
Satan answered, "A human would do anything to save his life. But what do you think would happen if you reached down and took away his health? He'd curse you to your face, that's what."
God said, "All right. Go ahead—you can do what you like with him. But mind you, don't kill him." Job 2- 3-6 The Message

Job's response to part 2:

His wife said, "Still holding on to your precious integrity, are you? Curse God and be done with it!"
He told her, "You're talking like an empty-headed fool. We take the good days from God—why not also the bad days?"
Not once through all this did Job sin. He said nothing against God." Job 2:9-10 The Message

Job STILL worshiped God! Job lost everything but refused to give up. God was worth it!

Yeah Job again, Satan lost again. God won again, and Satan was shut up!

There are forty more chapters in the book of Job and do you know how many times Satan was mentioned after the first to chapters?? NONE!!! ZIP!!! ZERO!!

Satan was defeated, I love it!!
Being reminded of this makes me think, have I won? Am I finally victorious? Did I beat Satan? Will he leave me alone now?

I hope and pray that this is it, but if not it will be my goal to praise him in the storm, to fight the good fight and keep the faith!! Just like Job.

share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
20 Comments »

20 Responses to “ Unseen Victory?? ”

Alli said...

I'm praying so, Katie! And know that whatever happens, you've got TONS of people praying for you across the World. HE will never leave you! HE is ALWAYS with you!!! I am praising God for what He has seen you through. You are just as inspirational as Job. You have challenged my own relationship with Christ by seeing your undying and unrelenting faithfullness. Thanks for never swaying, Katie. Stand stong in Christ!

Daddy's Dream ~Mommy's Miracle said...

Katie you are truly an inspiration. I love how you can see through this storm. In your weaknessness, you are the strongest.

God Bless,
Destiny

Anonymous said...

Katie - thanks for sharing from your devotional. It has challenged and inspired me. Praying that your faith [and mine] will see us through the good and hard stuff that we face daily. Thanks again for the update ----friend from ORC

Mindy Roelofs said...

Praise God!!! We have made it over another one of Satans obstacles and I hope and pray that you have FINALLY defeated him!!! You are so strong and I am so glad that i was able to be right by your side going through this last obstacle!!! Love you!!

~Mindy

Laurie in Ca. said...

With God on our side fighting the fight with us, we WILL shut satan up, one fight at a time, one victory at a time. Your strength in God is inspiring and so sweet. Praying for your recovery to continue in His perfect hands, bringing you home soon.

Laurie in Ca.

Anonymous said...

Wow.....you have such good insight on the story of Job, which most of us have heard since childhood. You brought the story to a whole new light. Not only are you a wonderful author, but you made me think so much. Which good authors do! Keep writing your thoughts down Katie. Your whole story should be documented, so that it will help others. God didn't bring you through all of this for nothing. Hopefully now you can heal and then help others by your writings and your inspiration. You certainly do have characteristics of Job! God has taught you so much already in your young life. You are mature beyond your years. Thank you for being so faithful to God, so that we can learn and grow. Remember how much Job was blessed by God at the end of all the struggles!!
Love you,
Myrna

LJFredricks said...

Sweetie, you are amazing. I will continue to pray for you.

Keren said...

What an encouraging post Katie...I love how you've persevered through all of this and still put all of your trust in God. So inspirational, I know I can always come to your blog for encouragement!
::cyber hugs!::

Anonymous said...

The story of Job is one of my favorites! I pray that my faith will prove that strong! What an inspiring story, it's another example of what trusting in God will do for Christians. Though we may be struck down, the one thing we can always believe is Jesus. We put our trust in Him because we love Him and He loved us enough to die for us. "Amazing love, how can it be? That you my King would die for me. Amazing love, I know it's true, it is my joy to honor you in all I do..." May it be our prayers that no matter what this life brings, we use it to honor Jesus!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Katie you are a inspiration. Job was a man who loved God, just like you with all your heart. It is inspiring to read what you wrote. It was a devotion for me as well for the day. Thank you. Hope you are doing well. Miss you can't wait to see you again! Amanda and Rob

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing, that is a truly amazing story. If only I could have 1/2 that much faith!
Keep being an inspiration to us all.
Thanks and God Bless
Kara

Kellie said...

Amen girl! I don't really know what to say but that God is the great Healer. He is watching over your precious Paco and will be taking care of you I just know. Praise to God!!

Anonymous said...

Katie I just started reading your blog today and wanted to let you know that you are an inspiration. You are a very strong woman and I thank you for sharing your story. You have not let the devil beat you down and you have shown your forever Faith in Christ. I am praying for you and Robb and hope that you will be well soon.

Mrs. Case said...

Wow, I REALLY needed to read this today! I am having some personal turmoil myself and it is always good to be reminded to stay off the pity pot and remember to worship God. Yup, I REALLY needed to read this today...

Anonymous said...

THAT was an awesome post! I don't even know you but have been following your blog through friends that do know you. Thank you for reminding all of us that God is always there and that his plan for us is always, always what is best! Praying for a full recovery for you, free from complications! There are better days ahead! God bless.

aLLie said...

This is an amazing story!! Thank you for sharing!!

I really pray that this is the end of the storm for you and Robb!

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie,
That was an amazing post. It's good to see that you can see God at work in your life at this time. If you continue in the book of Job, you will see that God again blesses him with amazing wealth and family at the end of the book. He will do the same for you.
In Bible study, we are looking at some of the Psalms and Psalm 126 talks about how God has blessed His people in the past and will again bless them in the future. Something to look forward to.
It's great to hear you are doing so well physically too now. We are continuing to remember you as you adjust to those "nasty" anti-rejection meds, etc.
Marcia

Myndee said...

When I read Job for the first time, it terrified me. I prayed, please God, don't test me like this. I know none of us want to go through any type of hardship, and I cannot begin to imagine what you've endured. I just wanted to let you know that I'm praying for you still and that you ARE victorious. You are an inspiration to all of us, and God will continue to use you to help others. I'm praying for his mercy and grace to continue to flow in your life.

Julybride_07 said...

Kaite! That was beautifully said! I have never met anyone before who had such faith in God! You are inspiring! I am praying for you always!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful story.

You might be interested in this online commentary "Putting God on Trial: The Biblical Book of Job" (http://www.bookofjob.org) as supplementary or background material for your study of the Book of Job. God is sovereign but it is not a sin to question God, to demand answers from God. There is a time and a place for such things. Questioning is an expression of the God-given duty to seek the truth. It is written by a Canadian criminal defense lawyer, now a Crown prosecutor, and it explores the legal and moral dynamics of the Book of Job with particular emphasis on the distinction between causal responsibility and moral blameworthiness embedded in Job’s Oath of Innocence. It is highly praised by Job scholars (Clines, Janzen, Habel) and the Review of Biblical Literature, all of whose reviews are on the website. The author is an evangelical Christian, denominationally Anglican. He is also the Canadian Director for the Mortimer J. Adler Centre for the Study of the Great Ideas, a Chicago-based think tank.

Robert Sutherland