dresser transformation

Sunday, November 13, 2011

early on in our building process I knew I wanted something fun and unique for the lower level bathroom vanity. I put together some fun ideas and the custom cabinet showroom and when the quote came back I nearly dropped to the floor after realizing that ‘certain look’ I was hoping for cost nearly triple what our builders had budgeted for us! (The first of many, many over budget surprises!) That was just not going to happen on a vanity so instead I took a little direction from one of my favorite blogs, Natty by Design and gave furniture up-cycling a shot!

I found the perfect dresser at a local antique shop and took it home with me!

DSC03548

Of course I was way too excited to complete the transformation that I completely neglected to take pics along the way but here's a run down of what I did!

First, I removed the hardware and put it away for safe keeping, I definitely wanted to use the original hardware as it was one the things I loved so much about the dresser. Then, I sanded it and gave it a few coats of black glossy paint. I spray painted the hardware a brighter metallic color and added some decorative furniture feet to raise the height up a bit.

IMG_3733

IMG_3730

IMG_3736

It was a LOT of work, glossy, oil based paint is ‘pain in the you know what’ to work with, and its far from perfect but I LOVE the way it turned out and this bathroom is one of my favorite rooms in the house, can’t wait to get it decorated, plus I saved a TON of money!

share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
12 Comments »

12 Responses to “ dresser transformation ”

Jan said...

Very cute Katie! I love the look.

Jennifer Kay said...

Wow you should be proud of the work you did because it's awesome!

Jill Sloothaak said...

That looks awesome, Katie! Great job!

Anonymous said...

Great job! That is really pretty!

Emily said...

This is great, I LOVE the way it turned out! :) Can't wait to see it all decorated!

Carrie said...

Fabulous! I love it!

A Love Worth Waiting For.... said...

Oh WOW! LOVE IT!!!

Rebekah said...

Furniture re-finishing is one of my favorite pastimes! It looks beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I love it! You have awesome taste! Love the flooring too! Can't wait to see the rest of the house.

Jeannie said...

LOVE it! I really wish I had a 'nack' for things like that; turning nothing into something :) Great job!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! How do you have the time with 2 little ones?

Melissa said...

Love that bathroom! What is the color on the walls?