Giving thanks in everything

Thursday, November 27, 2008

"in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:18


The Bible tells us to give thanks in everything. Paul wrote that while he was in prison, he had every reason to complain but instead he wrote"rejoice in the Lord always".
Sometimes its difficult enough to remember to give thanks during the good times, when things are going well. So how are we supposed to give thanks when times are hard and nothing seems to be going right?

I'll be honest, I don't do that.

This year thanksgiving was different than years before. Yes, we most certainly do have a lot to be thankful for but there is also a lot of things I am not thankful for. I am not thankful that my baby died and that he is not here to celebrate thanksgiving with us. How I am I supposed to give thanks for that stuff?
Luckily for me, when I read deeper into that passage, I notice something; it says to give thanks in everything not necessarily for everything. Bad things happen; we do not have to give thanks for them, but we can give thanks in the midst of them.

I do give thanks for God's glory being displayed through the hard times.

For that I am thankful.

And some other stuff I am thankful for;
This is an excerpt from our responsive reading in church today

For all the times we laughed till our sides ached; for all the times we were troubled and friends we didnt even know we had sprang up from nowhere and ministered to us; for all the times we could have chosen evil over good but didnt; for all the times we could have been hurt but werent; for all the times we could have died suddenly and unexpectedly but didnt. Oh Lord, I thank you.

For the sheer wonder of our creation, preservation, and redemption; for the privilege of prayer, the gift of the Spirit, and the gifts of the Spirit; for the everlasting arms beneath us; the watchful eye above us, the friends around us, and the trust within us. Oh Lord, I thank you.

For seed time and harvest and food enough; for every good nights sleep and every good days work, every good friend and every grand sunset; for warm memories of the past, and the promise of an eternal tomorrow; for the eyes to see beauty, ears to hear a birds songs, hands to hold someone else's, and for someone else's hand to hold. Oh Lord, I thank you.

For all persons whose love for us is unconditional, and in whose presence we can drop all pretense, be ourselves, and know we shall be accepted; for the one who calls us long distance, and the ones that call us darling, and the ones who calls us Dad and Mom, and for the One who shall one day call us into eternity. Oh Lord, I thank you.

and of course for paco! for regained strength, for healing, for the miracle of organ donation, for mindy and the rest of my family, for doctors and surgeons, for nurses and meds, for lots of urine and the disappearance of 'cankles', for scar creams and 'tank-inis', and for a husband who has loved me unconditionally through it all.

Hope you all had a wonderful thanksgiving.

share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
3 Comments »

3 Responses to “ Giving thanks in everything ”

Anonymous said...

God is absolutely AMAZING!!!! He continues to show us his wonderful love!! I will FOREVER be changes by this year. What an AWSOME God we serve. His ways are so far above ours. I have learned so much about myself through this past year. I will try not to let one moment pass without being thatnkful for it. For this life is such a precious gift that we have received, and definitly have not earned. I stand in AWWWW of our SAVIOR!! PRAISE GOD!!!

Ryan and Lydia said...

Amen!!! I hope that you guys had a great Thanksgiving!!!

Tsakani Studios - Kristen Worst said...

Hey Robb and Katie! Just thought I'd let you know that I posted up a few of your pics on my blog- http://tsakanistudios.blogspot.com. Enjoy!